Trash and Recycling Guidelines and Schedule
Yard Waste and Composting
Resident Yard Waste Dropoff at the Lexington Compost Facility - Residents may drop off yard waste at the Lexington Compost Facility.
Yard waste must be:
- placed in biodegradable bags that may be left at the facility;or
- transported in barrels or plastic bags that must be removed by the resident.
Note: Severe weather may preclude opening the facility on a particular day, please call 781-274-8300 to verify it is open in inclement weather. The site will be closed on legal holidays. Approved yard waste for resident dropoff includes:
- grass clippings,
- dead flowers or plants,
- wood chips,
- hedge clippings,
- pine needles, and
- brush 4 inches or less in diameter - collected in a separate brush pile at the facility.
Compost is available for pickup at the facility.
Home composting bins are also available for $30 (call 781-274-8300 and choose #1 for information.)
Curbside Pickup - Yard Waste must be:
- placed in biodegradable paper bags available at most grocery & hardware stores; or
- loose in garbage barrels without lids (brush should not protrude out of the top); or
- tied in bundles.
- Yard waste in plastic trash bags will not be collected.
Approved yard waste for curbside pickup includes:
- Leaves, grass clippings, dead flowers or plants, wood chips, hedge clippings, and pine needles;
- Brush 1 inch or less in diameter.
Brush 1- 4 inches in diameter should be put out for curbside trash collection.
- It must be cut in maximum 3 -foot lengths and tied in bundles not to exceed 75 pounds in weight or 2 feet in diameter.
- A maximum of 5 bundles may be put out with the regular refuse on collection day.
- Note: these bundles are incinerated and not recycled.