Studies & Reports:
Preliminary Evaluation of Source Separated Organics (CDM) Report
Shade Street Pavement Marking and Signing Plan
Digsafe (Utility Markouts):
National Grid (Gas Company):
Verizon (Phone Services):
(Phone, Cable & Internet):
Comcast (Phone, Cable, & Internet):
Massachusetts Highway Department (State Roads):
2014 Engineering Construction Projects
Major current projects:
Map of 2014 Paving Work
Map of 2014 Capital Improvements Projects
*While every effort is made to keep this website up to date, changes occur dynamically
and website updates cannot keep up with moment to moment conditions. This applies to detours which are set daily in the field by Town personnel in conjunction with the Lexington Police Department.
Projects by other entities affecting Lexington
- The Town of Bedford will begin the sliplining of their sewer line on Bedford Street from the Route 95 ramps to the Westview Cemetery (this section is under the jurisdiction of MassDOT) on approximately September 5, 2014. The duration of the project is currently projected at 75 days. Please expect delays as there will be lane closures for a significant portion of the project. The majority of the work will be performed Monday through Friday from 7:00AM to 4:30PM. There will be periodic night work as well. Please seek alternate routes if possible and plan accordingly.
Town of Lexington projects
- Mass Ave Water Main Evaluation (posted 9/24/14) The Town has contracted with Dewberry Engineers/Corrtech to evaluate and preform studies on the water main in Mass Ave between Woburn Street and the Arlington Town Line. The work will proceed in 2 phases - the first of which will begin on September 9/22/14. The may be an interruption of service during the week of October22nd. Affected residents will be notified.
- Roadway Reconstruction Program (posted 8/15/14) Paving operations continue throughout town. Crews are working on raising castings and finish work on Bedford St. Construction operations will continue during day hours: 7am-5pm. The road will be partially closed during working hours switching between East and Westbound. Alternate routes are shown on the map below. Traffic will be impacted. Please follow us on twitter! (see link at bottom of page) Any questions or concerns related to the paving program may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you prefer, a message may be left on our street paving information line: (781) 274-8905
Minuteman Bikeway (posted 9/11/14) Crews will be working on Friday, September 12 from 7am to 4 pm. The bikepath will be open but cyclists will need to use extra caution traveling through the area. There will be detail officers to help move pedestrian traffic and cyclists around the work area safely. The work area is from Drake Rd in Arlington to Fottler Ave in Lexington.
- Shade Street Traffic Calming (posted 9/23/14) Crews will be on Shade St installing speed humps on Wednesday, 9/24, Saturday, 9/27 and Saturday, 10/4. There may be closures and delays. Seek alternate route if possible.
- Robinson Road Project (posted 10/3/14) Crews from McIver Brothers are working on Robinson Road. Tomorrow October 8th, Robinson Rd will be closed from Grove to Turning Mill. Access to abutters only. On Thursday, October 9th, weather permitting, the whole road will be closed for paving. No access at all will be allowed. Those wishing to get in or out must move their vehicles offsite prior to 8am. See map below. Please contact Dave Cannon with any questions.
Hartwell Ave at Maguire Road Modifications (posted 8/25/14) The Town is in the process of conducting preliminary designs for modifications to Hartwell Ave corridor.
Phase 1 of the Hartwell Ave area improvements includes the rehabilitation or replacement of the bridge over the Kiln Brook, improvements to the Maguire Road intersection which is currently proposed to be a roundabout, and potentially a protected pedestrian crossing at the intersection with Bedford Street. The design is currently in progress with Stantec under contract to bring the project through the 25% design stage.
View a slide show (pdf or PowerPoint) showing an overview of the project and the current considerations.
- Inspecting Sanitary Sewers For Excessive Infiltration - (posted 6/26/14) DPW Engineering has a contractor who will be inspecting the sanitary sewers for excessive infiltration. The contractor is NEPCCO. They use one pickup truck for this work. They open one manhole, install a measurement device and move to the next upstream manhole and install a temporary plug. They then move to the first manhole and take measurements for about 15 minutes. There is no power equipment. The loudest noise is the opening and closing of the manhole. The work will be done at night to observe during low flow conditions. The work is scheduled to begin on Sunday night, April 6th at 11 pm until 6 am for the next several weeks. The work area is northeast Lexington, side streets, north and south of Lowell Street to Woburn Street. The truck is identified with “NEPCCO” graphics on the side. Traffic cones are placed to mark the work area.
For further information, please call Mike Flamang, Engineering Division, 781-274-8308. If there is an after hours emergency connected with this work, call the DPW Emergency number, 781-862-1618.
- Butterfield Dam Improvements- (posted 5/27/14) The scope of work includes construction of earthen embankment dam improvements and includes tree removal. The eastbound lane of Lowell St will be closed for the duration of the project during working hours. The work is expected to extend through June.
- Grove Street Bridge Project (posted 2-6-14)
Mass DOT will be performing bridge repairs to the Grove Street bridge over Route 128 starting in June 2014. It is anticipated that the road will remain open but traffic will be reduced to one lane. Check back here for updates and more details as the date approaches.
- Spring and Concord Intersection Improvements Contract #13-62 (posted 5-28-14)
Crews completed the paving but will be back to work on punchlist items including line striping. Check back here for updates. See map below. Project Includes a new traffic signal, curbing, sidewalks, and pavement markings. Work is done for the season and will continue in the spring.
- Concord Ave Sidewalk Study -(posted 7-8-13) The Town of Lexington Engineering Division is studying the possibility of installing a sidewalk along Concord Avenue from Waltham Street to Spring Street. Concord Avenue is a town roadway with a portion in the state right of way. The corridor has been surveyed and evaluated. Design is underway; current plans are available for viewing at Samuel Hadley Public service building, 201 Bedford Street. See below for link to a preliminary design plan. Please contact Dave Cannon in Engineering for more information.
- Mass Ave 3 Intersection Project - (updated 1/6/14)
The Town of Lexington seeks to improve pedestrian, bicycle and vehicular traffic safety as well as improve traffic operations along a section of Massachusetts Avenue in Lexington. The project area is approximately 3,500 feet long and extends from Pleasant Street to Marrett Road. February 2013 Presentation (4.37MB). Several workshops were held in 2012 and 2013 and based on feedback from these workshops preliminary designs have been developed and submitted to MassDot for review.
The current recommendation calls for:
Construction is currently programmed for 2018. For more information please contact: Dave Cannon, Lexington DPW/Engineering, (781)-274-8323, email@example.com