*While every effort is made to keep this website up to date, changes occur dynamically
and website updates cannot keep up with moment to moment conditions. This applies to detours which are set daily in the field by Town personnel in conjunction with the Lexington Police Department.
Projects Under Construction
- Concord Ave Sidewalk (posted 7/11/16) Crews have completed the paving. Punchlist items, including driveway aprons, are still in the works.
The plans include installation of a sidewalk along Concord Avenue from Waltham Street to Spring Street. This project involves construction of a 5 foot wide sidewalk, granite curb, field stone retaining walls and drainage improvements. The culvert carrying Hardy’s Pond Brook will be replaced and the traffic signal at Waltham Street and Concord ave will be upgraded. Current plans are available for viewing at Samuel Hadley Public service building, 201 Bedford Street. Please contact Dave Cannon in Engineering for more information.
- Street Resurfacing 2016 (updated 7/22/16) Tree crews will be on Prospect Hill Rd on Thursday, July 28th working from 7am - 7pm removing trees in advance of sidewalk work. The road will be closed. See detour map.
This year's resurfacing program utilizes a few different methods to resurface. Crews from D&R will be milling and paving, as well as reclaiming roads to be repaved. Sealcoating Inc will also be in Town as they have the contract for the specialized resurfacing. Crews from Sealcoating have begun to put down the chip seal on Grove St. The road will feel bumpy but please note this is only the first stage. Other roads prepped and soon to be surfaced are: Burlington, North, Dewey, Gould, Grimes, Demar and Partridge. These surface techniques will prolong the life of the current pavement. Follow this link to learn about the different surfacing techniques!
Please see map for the streets to be resurfaced this year. Please note the legend which indicates the treatment pertaining to each road in this year's program. On-street parking will be prohibited during construction. You will be given as much access as the work allows and the DPW will do their best to minimize any inconvenience. Please note that work schedules are often altered by unforeseen events such as scheduling conflicts with other utility work which may result in delaying the microsurfacing to a subsequent year. We will do our best to keep you informed. Our current schedule is here.
- Water Distribution Improvements Contract 16-52 (updated 6/16/16) All the new water main between Marrett Road and Pleasant Street will be likely be complete by Friday, June 10th. The next activity is connection of services for homes to the new main. This entails digging a trench across the complete width of the street at every building between Marrett Road and Pleasant Street. To complete this work, the road will have to be narrowed to one lane with traffic alternating in each direction. (Complete closure will not be necessary.) The work will be done at night, from 8 pm to 5 am. This restriction will begin Monday, June 13th and continue for approximately 6-8 weeks. If you are interested in being on an email distribution list set up for this project, please email the request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware while anyone may request updates, they are geared towards direct abutters.
- Revere Street Culvert (posted 2/18/16) This project, which consisted of replacing two culverts along North Lexington Brook at two separate locations: just east of #19 and #20 Revere Street and along the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway to the north of Camellia Place, is complete for the season. Punchlist items, consisting of landscaping and plantings will be done in the spring.
- Paul Revere Drainage Improvements (posted 6/20/16) Crews from D'Allessandro will be on Paul Revere tomorrow, June 21st, loaming and seeding as well as completing some punch list items. Although there isn't any closures expected, there will be a police detail out there to direct traffic.The scope of this project includes the layout of approximately 650 linear feet of drainage pipe in Paul Revere Road from Powers Court to Cedar Street as well as installation of catch basins and berm to improve flow of surface storm water. Work is complete for the year. Crews will return in the spring to finish punchlist items including installation of berm.
- Main Wastewater Pumping Station Improvements Project (posted 9/21/15) The work includes installation of three 150 horsepower, premium efficiency motors and variable frequency drives (VFDs) for the three existing wastewater non-clog centrifugal pumps as well as other upgrades.
- Phase 5 Sewer System Improvements Project (posted 6/3/16) This project involves rehabilitation of existing gravity sewer. Work includes but not limited to replacement of sewer line, video services and inspection of existing conditions, lining, cleaning, testing and sealing. The project is being administered by Weston & Sampson Engineers.
Projects by other entities affecting Lexington
- Mass DOT Route 2/I-95 Bridge Replacement project. For information about lane closures please visit the Mass DOT project website.
- Mass DOT Repairs to the Watertown Street Bridge over Route 2 Construction will take place from 9/9 through 9/13. There will be revolving lane closures on Rt 2 during day and night hours. Please see Mass DOT project website for further details.
- The Town of Bedford slip-lining project: Phase 1 work is wrapping up. The Town of Bedford is working with their contractor to set up a sewer by-pass to forstall any breaks which might occur in the length of pipe not lined thus far. This by-pass will carry over for the next phase of the project which will kick off in the spring.
- National Grid will be relaying mains in various location throughout Town this summer. Currently crews are on Albemarle Ave.