*While every effort is made to keep this website up to date, changes occur dynamically
and website updates cannot keep up with moment to moment conditions. This applies to detours which are set daily in the field by Town personnel in conjunction with the Lexington Police Department.
Projects Under Construction
- Concord Ave Sidewalk (posted 5/4/16)
The plans include installation of a sidewalk along Concord Avenue from Waltham Street to Spring Street. This project involves construction of a 5 foot wide sidewalk, granite curb, field stone retaining walls and drainage improvements. The culvert carrying Hardy’s Pond Brook will be replaced and the traffic signal at Waltham Street and Concord ave will be upgraded. Current plans are available for viewing at Samuel Hadley Public service building, 201 Bedford Street. Please contact Dave Cannon in Engineering for more information.
- Street Resurfacing 2016 (updated 5/18/16) Crews from D&R are still working on Solomon Pierce as well as Turning Mill and Reed Street. Solomon Pierce will be closed to through traffic through to Friday, May 20th. Hours of closure are approximately 7 AM to 7 PM. See map. Abutters will have access. Please speak with the detail officer at the point of closure. Turning Mill and Reed St is open but traffic will be impacted due to reclaiming operations.
This year's resurfacing program utilizes a few different methods to resurface. Crews from D&R will be milling and paving, as well as reclaiming roads to be repaved. The town also has a contract out to bid for specialized resurfacing. These surface techniques will prolong the life of the current pavement. Follow this link to learn about the different surfacing techniques!
Please see map for the streets to be resurfaced this year. Please note the legend which indicates the treatment pertaining to each road in this year's program. On-street parking will be prohibited during construction. You will be given as much access as the work allows and the DPW will do their best to minimize any inconvenience. Please note that work schedules are often altered by unforeseen events such as scheduling conflicts with other utility work which may result in delaying the microsurfacing to a subsequent year. We will do our best to keep you informed. Our current schedule is here.
- Water Distribution Improvements Contract 16-52 (updated 4/13/16) The Town of Lexington will be upgrading main along the East Mass Ave corridor. Work will begin on Tuesday April 19th and while no closure is expected, traffic will be impacted on this stretch of Mass Ave. Work hours are anticipated to be 7am-5pm. This work will continue throughout the construction season right through to the fall.
- Revere Street Culvert (posted 2/18/16) This project, which consisted of replacing two culverts along North Lexington Brook at two separate locations: just east of #19 and #20 Revere Street and along the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway to the north of Camellia Place, is complete for the season. Punchlist items, consisting of landscaping and plantings will be done in the spring.
- Paul Revere Drainage Improvements (posted 1/6/16) The scope of this project includes the layout of approximately 650 linear feet of drainage pipe in Paul Revere Road from Powers Court to Cedar Street as well as installation of catch basins and berm to improve flow of surface storm water. Work is complete for the year. Crews will return in the spring to finish punchlist items including installation of berm.
- Main Wastewater Pumping Station Improvements Project (posted 9/21/15) The work includes installation of three 150 horsepower, premium efficiency motors and variable frequency drives (VFDs) for the three existing wastewater non-clog centrifugal pumps as well as other upgrades.
- Phase 5 Sewer System Improvements Project (posted 5/6/16) Crews will be working on Mass Ave overnight in the center, starting on Monday, May 9th and continuing for 4 nights. The work hours are 7 PM to 7 AM. The Mass Ave. workzone is from Grant Street to Muzzey Street. The road is expected to stay open, but parking and traffic will be impacted. This project involves rehabilitation of existing gravity sewer. Work includes but not limited to replacement of sewer line, video services and inspection of existing conditions, lining, cleaning, testing and sealing. The project is being administered by Weston & Sampson Engineers.
Projects by other entities affecting Lexington
- Mass DOT Route 2/I-95 Bridge Replacement project. For information about lane closures please visit the Mass DOT project website.
- Mass DOT Repairs to the Watertown Street Bridge over Route 2 Construction will take place from 9/9 through 9/13. There will be revolving lane closures on Rt 2 during day and night hours. Please see Mass DOT project website for further details.
- The Town of Bedford slip-lining project: Phase 1 work is wrapping up. The Town of Bedford is working with their contractor to set up a sewer by-pass to forstall any breaks which might occur in the length of pipe not lined thus far. This by-pass will carry over for the next phase of the project which will kick off in the spring.
- National Grid will be relaying mains in various location throughout Town this summer.