Participatory Budgeting (PB)
What is Participatory Budgeting (PB)?
Participatory Budgeting (PB for short!) is a democratic process through which community members directly decide how to spend public funds. PB guarantees accountability in spending decisions, can increase equity and access, foster civic engagement and community spirit, and ensure that public money targets real community needs.
The Select Board has set $500,000 of American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds for Lexington's first-ever PB cycle.
What PB is NOT
PB is not the same as the Town's annual operating and capital budgets. In these budget processes, Town staff develop the recommended budget to present to the Select Board and eventually to Town Meeting. Residents can participate in those budget processes by commenting at the Select Board's annual budget hearings, or through their Town Meeting representatives.
Submitting an Idea
Submit your ideas to improve Lexington! All ideas are welcome, but projects are only eligible if they meet certain criteria.
Eligible projects must meet the following criteria:
- Benefits the public
- Are one-time expenditures that cost $500,000 or less
- Are capital projects, (something bought or built--as opposed to operating projects, which usually fund salaries and services)
- Some capital projects may have some sort of associated operating cost. It can't require the Town to hire additional staff.
- Are implemented by the Town of Lexington on Town property (streets, sidewalks, parks, library, schools, youth centers, senior centers, municipal buildings, etc.)
Examples of projects that you could submit could be:
- Water fountains in a park
- Electric vehicle charging stations
- Bicycle repair station
- Accessibility improvements
- Planting trees
Community submits ideas on how to spend the funds
July through September 16, 2022
Town staff vet ideas for cost and feasibility and develop them into proposals that can be voted on
September through October 2022
|Vote on Proposals|
Residents vote on their favorite proposals
Winning projects are implemented
December 2022 onward
Signup for Updates
Sign up for email updates throughout the PB process.
Translation services are available upon request in Mandarin, Korean, and Hindi. Email Sean Dugan for assistance.
If you have any questions, or would like additional information, please contact Sean Dugan in the Town Manager's Office by email, or call 781-698-4548.