Pedestrian and Bike Projects
The Town of Lexington boasts more than 84 miles of sidewalks, 5 miles of bike path, 20 miles of bike lanes & sharrows, and 47 miles of ACROSS Lexington walking trails! In FY2023, the Select Board has recommended more than $3.6 million for new sidewalks, sidewalk improvements, and street improvement projects! Projects can be led and supported by a variety of departments, as described below:
I want to…
- Battle Green Streetscape - Improving pedestrian and bicycle safety, vehicular safety, and increasing connectivity and accessibility.
- All projects under construction - Including paving & road construction schedules, intersection improvements, and more
- Town-Wide Bike and Pedestrian Plan - The Town is developing a Bike and Pedestrian plan that will guide development and improvements for the next 10 years. Your input is critical, and we want to hear from you!
- All current projects - Specifics for individual properties, may include sidewalk implementation or changes
Related Departments & Committees
Wondering when they meet? View Public meetings of Town Boards and Committees
- The Transportation Safety Group is a Town Manager-appointed Working Group which meets monthly to evaluate issues and concerns relative to traffic, transit, pedestrian, bicycle and parking safety.
- Recommendations are made to the Select Board and the Town Manager
- Supports people seeking transportation options and information, runs classes and groups, and promotes active and alternative transportation in and around Lexington
- Serves as coordinator for Lexington's Safe Routes to School Program
- Coordinates all planning and development-related activities of the town including land use and comprehensive planning
- The Engineering Division includes all engineering programs and provides engineering support for other Town departments, boards and committees
- Administers the Capital Budget for the Town's infrastructure, including streets & sidewalks
- Involved in Business District improvement projects, as well as running the Liberty Ride
- Promotes active transportation & alternatives to single-occupancy vehicle trips
- Identifies, actively plans and recommends the establishment of pedestrian, bicycle and other greenways corridors linking Town conservation, recreation and other open spaces
- Runs ACROSS Lexington program
- Advises the Select Board on matters relating to bicycle routes and general bicycle policy. Meets jointly with local non-profit Friends of the Lexington Bikeways.