Record high food prices have triggered a global crisis, driving many people into economic hardship due to having to spend a larger share of the household income on food. If you're struggling with putting food on the table, the Human Services Department is here to help. We have compiled a list of local food resources to help alleviate some of the financial burden you're facing. If you need additional support beyond the resources listed on this page please contact us at 781-698-4840 or email us.
On January 11, 2022 the Select Board approved allocation of a portion of the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds to address the issue of food insecurity in Lexington. The Human Services Department will be utilizing some of these funds to disburse Wegmans grocery gift cards to families in need. We understand that the pandemic coupled with inflation have caused economic challenges for many. In order to impact those hardest hit, individuals and families must meet income eligibility requirements to qualify for gift cards. Eligible residents will receive $75 per household member, up to $450 per household. Please note, cards are issued on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Wegmans Gift Card Eligibility Requirements
- Must meet with social worker from Human Services to review eligibility, which is based on Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) guidelines as shown below.
MAXIMUM GROSS INCOME
- Automatic approvals for cards will be given based on any of the following situations:
- Assessed and qualified for other subsidy programs/assistance in the last year e.g. SNAP, WIC, TAFDC, EAEDC etc.
- Current LIHEAP Fuel Assistance approval letter.
- Current lease from Lexington Housing Authority or LexHab or Section 8 Voucher.
- Residents must provide documentation of eligibility to Human Services staff.
Transportation is available: A Lexpress or taxi ride will be provided to/from Wegmans if needed.
If you are interested in the program please click the link above to submit your application online. For questions or assistance with completing the application call our office at 781-698-4855.
Open Table is a food pantry located in Maynard, which serves Lexington residents. New guest are welcome!
- Pre-order your groceries for pickup by appointment at opentable.org/order-form.
- Orders must be placed between Thursday 5:00pm and Monday 12 noon.
- For order inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a voicemail at the following numbers: English: 978-344-2079 | 普通话 (Mandarin): 978-344-2927 | Português (Portuguese): 978-254-1670 | русский (Russian): 978-254-1970 | Español (Spanish): 978-254-1781
- Hours are: Tuesday 1:00–3:00pm (Seniors 65+) | Tuesday 3:00–6:30pm | Thursday 1:00–4:30pm.
- For more information visit opentable.org or email email@example.com or call 978-369-2275.
SNAP can help you expand your healthy food budget. SNAP benefits include:
- Monthly funds on an EBT card to buy food
- $40, $60 or $80 a month reimbursement on your EBT card when you use SNAP to buy local produce via the Healthy Incentives Program (HIP). For more information visit the Farmer's Market on Tuesdays at Worthen Road Practice Field or their website at lexingtonfarmersmarket.org.
- To apply for SNAP benefits, visit: dtaconnect.eohhs.mass.gov
- If you need assistance with a SNAP application, contact the Human Services Department
- EBT cards are accepted in numerous stores in Massachusetts as well as Lexington Community Farm and the Lexington Farmers' Market.
WIC is a nutrition program that provides healthy foods, nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and referrals to healthcare and other services, free of charge, to Massachusetts families who qualify.
- Contact: Arlington WIC Office | 7 Central St., Arlington, MA 02476 | 781-646-2032
- To apply online visit: mass.gov/forms/apply-for-wic-online
Meals on Wheels delivers meals to homebound seniors who are unable to provide their own meals, and who meet certain guidelines.
- A nutritious meal delivered by a friendly driver goes a long way in helping maintain independence.
- Deliveries are made between 11 am and 1 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Contact Minuteman Senior Services at 781-272-7177 or visit minutemansenior.org.