September is Food Safety Education Month. Did you know that in the United States 1 in 6 people get sick from foodborne illnesses? Here are some steps in order to prevent food borne illnesses:
- Food safety begins at the source. Purchase food from reputable vendors. When purchasing, receiving, and storing these items, confirm they are within proper temperature ranges.
- Clean and sanitize all food contact surfaces and equipment. Be aware of any cross contamination that may occur.
- Don’t forget to switch out the cutting boards between different types of food!
- While cooking any food, verify that it is reaching the correct temperature to decrease risk of contamination.
- And most importantly, remember to WASH YOUR HANDS THOROUGHLY whenever you are handling any type of food.
Following these tips can help you prepare a safe meal in your own home. Visit our website for more information about food safety!