- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Toward an Equitable & Just Community
Toward an Equitable & Just Community
Lexington's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Work
The Town of Lexington is committed to ensuring that Lexington is a safe, equitable and just community for all.
Following the national dialog on issues of social and racial equity, in the summer of 2020, the Town Manager began a more formal process of examining our policies, procedures and practices as they relate to municipal operations. This includes engaging professionals in the field, and outside consultants, to ensure comprehensive, unbiased evaluation.
The Select Board and Town Management are committed to ensuring that our community is free from racism, discrimination, and hate.
Cary Library Breaking Boundaries through YA Literature - Teen Book Club
A monthly teen-led book club open to 9 to 12th graders from Lexington and the surrounding areas. The mission of the group is to utilize YA books to spark conversations exploring themes of social justice, inclusion and equality, and to enhance connections from communities in and around Lexington. Registration required.
Everybody In! Walk/Move for Perkins
The mission of the inaugural Everybody In! Walk/Move for Perkins is to build a more inclusive, accessible world of opportunities for all people. While we know people with disabilities are capable of so much, barriers to true inclusion persist in our society.
Together, we can work to eliminate stigma, change attitudes and invite people of all abilities to fully participate in their communities.
Take a stand for disability inclusion by joining us for the inaugural Everybody In! Walk/Move for Perkins on Saturday, October 2.
Other Efforts Include
- Engaging All Aces, Inc. to serve as our Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity Transformation (DIET) partner. During this engagement, the Town will develop a comprehensive race equity plan to ensure that Lexington is an equitable community, employer, and place for business.
- Working with a Core Team made up of municipal staff and a Citizen Advisory Council, made up of members from community organizations and committees representing the diversity of Lexington's municipal workforce and population.
- Providing Racial Equity training for staff and the community.
- Creating a new staff position in the Town Manager's Office responsible for DEI efforts.
- Establishing an online resource for all residents in conjunction with All Aces, providing an interactive, curated space of equity resources, discussion and learning opportunities.
- Joining both the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE) and the National League of Cities (NLC) in order to take advantage of their collective Racial Equity resources.
- Ongoing Racial and Social Equity update at every regular Select Board meeting.
- Engaging the services of Town Counsel to begin the work of reviewing all Town policies. The starting point of this work was a review of the Police Department policies to ensure there is no unintended bias or discriminatory language and to make recommendations to the Select Board.
- Introducing the staff of the Police Department through short video clips that explain their work with the community, and the services and functions of the Department.
As we continue to move forward, we will post the status of these items on this page.
See our staff training, public programs and other work in this area over the past few years.
Resources & Recommended Reading
- All Aces, Inc.: a DEI consulting group hired by the Town of Lexington: See All Aces intro video.
- Cary Library's Social Justice book club, including their 2020 and 2021 booklists
- Social Justice Books: booklists, reviews and book talks from Teaching for Change
- Recommend a DEI resource that you found to be informative.
Please note: Recommended resources will be evaluated periodically. Submission of a resource does not guarantee it will be posted.
Events & Feedback Opportunities
- Give us your feedback on any of these issues, or your suggestions for enhancing our community.
- Check back for more events and community meetings in the future
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: Town Departments & Committees
- Lexington Human Rights Committee
- Lexington Commission on Disability
- Our Police Department: Information and frequently asked questions
- Human Services Department
- Lexington School Department DEI Initiative