The Center Streetscape Project encompasses the area of Massachusetts Avenue at Woburn Street, west to Meriam Street (not including the area covered by the Battle Green Master Plan (PDF)).
The Project as a defined scope of improving the safety and accessibility for all modes of transportation - vehicles, pedestrians, bicycles, busses - on the roadway and sidewalks. These goals are in line with the Spring 2015 Annual Town Meeting affirmative votes on Article 42 - Commission on Disability Request, and Article 45 - Townwide Process for Safety (see Warrant for text of articles).
The Town of Lexington Engineering Division, in consultation with the Center Streetscape project consultant, compiled a list of design elements for the Center Streetscape. The Committee will make recommendations to the Board of Selectmen regarding these design elements in the order listed:
- Sidewalks (material and width)
- Street lighting (style)
- Buffers (stone walls, thin planters, etc.)
- Seating (benches, tables, chairs)
- Bicycle amenities (racks, loops)
- Informational Signage
- Trash/recycle receptacles
- Planters (type, location)
- Landscaping (trees, shrubs, soil used)
- Educational and interpretive elements (wayfinding, historical interpretive signage, markers, bollards, fencing, etc.)
- Maintenance and upkeep
Tier 1: by September 15, 2016
- The sidewalk materials and widths of the various materials as well as the decision on the south side newer sidewalk area.
- Lighting style (as this theme tends to carry through to other streetscape design elements and the design, number of posts, heights and costs can be significantly impacted by style).
Tier 2: by November 1, 2016
- Roadway features
- Stone walls
- Granit posts, bollards and interpretive markers in pavement
- Structural soil
- Infiltration basin
Tier 3: by December 15, 2016
- Amenities (tables and chairs)
- Thin planters
- Interpretive elements