Volunteer for a Board / Committee
The volunteer boards and committees in Lexington are vital to the running of our town. They provide a rich source of knowledge and expertise, expand the town's ability to research issues and best practices, and enhance the communication between residents and town staff and elected officials.
We're always looking for volunteers, both to put on our list of potential volunteers for future vacancies, as well as to fill vacancies as they occur. Most committee members are appointed for a term, which usually lasts between 1 and 3 years. Ad hoc committees have a specific goal and disband after that goal is reached.
Most committees are appointed by the Select Board, while others are appointed by the Town Manager or the Town Moderator.
On each committee page there is information on the makeup of the committee, requirements for members, and the committee's "charge" - that is, the purpose of the group.
View the complete list of boards/committees with links to each board/committee page.
The following basic criteria guide appointing authorities in identifying applicants having the qualities and abilities that will facilitate the important and necessary work of a board, committee, or commission.
- Applicants must live in, pay taxes to, or work in Lexington, or otherwise have a vested interest in the Lexington community. A few committees have a residency requirement, which is indicated on that committee’s web page.
- Members of appointed committees should be people of competence, goodwill, and sound, objective judgment. They should be sensitive to the long-term as well as immediate impact of their decisions and recommendations.
- Members must be willing and able to devote the time and energy necessary to fulfill their responsibilities.
- Membership on some committees requires particular expertise, which is described on an individual committee’s page.
Some committees have associate, non-voting members as well as full members. On those committees, vacancies on the full committee are typically filled from the pool of associates.
The Application Form is available online. Applications are made available to the appointing authority, which varies by committee. Please contact the Select Board Office if you need assistance with the online application.
Please include information on your application that will make it possible to identify both your interests and your talents; for example:
- Professional and/or educational background
- Job history and responsibilities
- Community, civic, religious, cultural, service, athletic or other activities
Attaching your resume is requested and helpful.
Let us know if your interests are limited to a specific field or committee. You may want to attend a meeting and introduce yourself to the chair. All committee meetings are open to the public and are posted at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting in our Public Meetings Calendar, in the Lexington Minuteman, in the Police Station lobby, and outside the Town Clerk's Office on the first floor of the Town Office Building. Names of chairs are available by clicking on the Member Roster on the board or committee's webpage.
(Updated 9/21/2023) How to Apply
Select Board Appointed:
- Battle Road Scenic Byway Committee - 1
- Communications Advisory Committee - 1
- Community Preservation Committee - 1
- Condominium Conversion Board - 3
- Design Advisory Committee - 2 Full Members; 8 Associate Members
- Fence Viewers - 1
- Historic Districts Commission - 3 Associate Members
- Housing Partnership Board - 1 Lexington Housing Authority Member
- Lexington Council for the Arts - 3
- Lexington Human Rights Committee - 1
- Monuments and Memorials Committee - 1
- Noise Advisory Committee - 5
- Tourism Committee - 2
- Town Celebrations Subcommittee - 7
- Town Report Committee - 3
- Transportation Advisory Committee - 1
- Tree Committee - 1 Full Member; 2 Non-Voting Members
- Vision for Lexington Committee - 2
- Zoning Board of Appeals - 2 Associate Members
Town Manager Appointed:
- Council on Aging - 2
- Conservation Commission - 1 Full Member; 2 Associate Members
- Youth Commission - 2