Employment with the Police Department
The Lexington Police Department is committed to having a diverse and professional police force the reflects the community it serves.
We are not a Civil Service department. The police officer recruitment process begins with a written test given by the Lexington Police Department. The entrance test is a requirement for all new members of the department and all candidates will be recruited from the most recent test. The test is typically given every 2 years or as needed.
Current Openings & Testing Schedule
There are currently 4 immediate entry-level openings available. We are currently not accepting applications for lateral transfers.
We will be holding an entry-level exam on August 20, 2022. Our department uses Police Exam Solutions to administer the written exam.
For more information, and to apply to take the exam, visit the Police Exam Solutions website.
Required Information for Future Background Interview
If you are selected for an interview, you will be required to supply the following documents. Note that there is a long lead time to obtain some of these documents.
- Certified copy of birth certificate
- Certified copy of high school transcript
- Certified copy of college transcript
- Copy of any licenses held
- Credit history (full, with score) from 1 of the 3 major credit bureaus: TransUnion, Experian or Equifax
- Printout of selective service documentation from the Selective Service System
- Copy of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD-214 Long form
How to request the DD-214
- Copy of Military Personnel Record, Non-Deleted/No Medical, SF-180
How to request the SF-180
- Copies of any awards/certificates