- Public Health
- Environmental Health
Food Protection Program
- Each retail food establishment in town must obtain an annual permit from the Health Division to operate.
- Surprise food inspections are conducted to assess proficiency in the safe handling of food
- The number of inspections for an establishment to continue operating depends on the risk level.
Medical Waste Collection
- The Health Department collaborates with the Department of Public Works and the Human Services Department to offer Lexington residents a free service for drop-off of medical waste.
- Collection events take place in the parking lot behind the Town Office Building, 1625 Massachusetts Avenue.
- For more information call 781-698-4522. Lexington Residents Only (ID required such as a driver's license).
Household Hazardous Waste Collection
- Residents of Lexington and other eligible communities may bring small quantities of hazardous waste to the Hartwell Avenue facility on several collection days every year.
- Items may include unwanted paints (non-latex), paint related material, cleaners, automotive products, pesticides, herbicides and auto batteries. Other items may be considered on a case by case basis.
- For more information on how to get dispose of certain household hazardous materials please click here
Swimming Pool Inspections
- All semi-public pools are issued an annual permit to operate.
- Inspectors test the water periodically to determine that they are in the regulatory limits for chlorine, alkalinity and pH levels. These tests are indicators of water quality safety for public recreational swimming use.
"Old Reservoir" Bathing Beach
- During the operating season, June through mid August, weekly water samples are professionally prepared and transported to a certified analytical lab. At the lab, the samples are analyzed for bacteria counts in the water column.
- If there is an unsafe or high level of bacteria in the water, then the swimming area must remain closed until laboratory analysis indicates that the water is safe for public bathing.
Air Quality / Mold Abatement
View a list of air quality and mold abatement specialists (PDF).