Permits & Zoning

The Town of Lexington welcomes your business and strives to make the process of doing business within the Town as simple as possible. The particulars of your site, use, and business needs will determine the specific permits you need. Below is a list of pertinent permits and licenses that you may need. You can apply online for various licenses and permits.

Construction Permits

If you're planning on refurbishing an existing building or creating a new one, chances are you'll need to file the necessary permits with the Building Division.

Food Services

If you're planning on serving food in Lexington, whether in a restaurant or not (even if it's only a one-time event), you'll need to visit the Health Department.

Commercial / Industrial Activities

Waste disposal, DNA research, and well construction will need permits available in the Health Department.

Wetlands Permit

If your project requires construction near a wetland, stream, or flood plain, you will need to file with the Conservation Division.

Doing Business as Certificate

If you are conducting business in Lexington under any title other than the legal name of the business, whether individually or in a partnership, you need to file a Business Certificate.

Sign Permit

It is likely your business will require a sign. All exterior signs require a Sign Permit. To maintain compatibility with the building and the character of the area, the Town has outlined regulations for commercial signs in the Zoning Bylaw. It is possible your site is also subject to review by the Historic Districts Commission or Planning Board