Licensing & Permits

Marriage Licenses

The two parties to the marriage must jointly apply for the license (file intentions) in person at the Town Clerk's Office. Marriage licenses are a state license and can be applied for at any town/city hall within Massachusetts. View the Vital Records page for more information on how to apply for a Marriage License.

Business Certificates

All fictitious name certificates for businesses (commonly known as "doing business as" or "dba" certificates) are required to be filed with the Town Clerk in the community in which the business operates. The dba files allow consumers to identify and locate the proprietor of a business known by a name other than that of the proprietor. Once filed, a certificate is valid for four years. The fee for filing is $25. 

A Business Certificate must be filed with the Town Clerk' Office for these types of business:

  • Corporation doing business under a name other than their exact legal name
  • Sole proprietorships and partnerships doing business under a name that does not include the surname of the partner or proprietor
  • Massachusetts Business Trusts doing business under a name other than their exact legal name (Certain non-residents, such as foreign limited liability companies, must appoint the city or town clerk as their agent for service of process in accordance with MGL Chapter 227, Section 5A)
  • Limited partnerships doing business under a name other than its true partnership name or a name which does not contain the words "Limited Partnership"
  • Limited Liability Companies doing business under a name other than their exact legal name


Business Certificate (DBA) Application (PDF)

Dog Licenses

The Lexington dog licensing cycle runs from April 1 through March 31 of the following year. Dog licensing invoices will be mailed on or about March 11th each year. Licenses remain in effect until April 1.

Massachusetts General Law requires all dog owners to license their dog(s). A license will be issued only if the owner has evidence of a rabies vaccination which is valid as of the date of issuance and on file with the Town Clerk's Office. Neutered/spayed documentation will also be required if such designation is not evident on the rabies certificate. 


The Select Board voted the following licensing fees:

  • Neutered/spayed dogs - $15
  • Intact dogs (male/female) - $20

An owner or keeper of a dog who fails to renew a dog license within 21 days after being notified that a previously issued license has expired may be assessed a fee in addition to any other charges due for such license.

Late fee assessment:  

  • 7 days or less $  5 in addition to license fee
  • 8 to 29 days $ 10 in addition to license fee
  • 30 to 60 days $ 25 in addition to license fee
  • 61 days or more $ 50 in addition to license fee

Online payment for dog re-licensing is available March 1 to June 15 if you have a rabies certificate with a current vaccine on file with the Town Clerk's Office. Payments online can be paid from your checking account or with a credit card. Please note a nominal fee will apply to all online transactions. 

Email the Town Clerk's Office, or call 781-698-4558 with any questions.


Fuel Storage Registration

The Town Clerk processes the annual registration of facilities and/or properties on which a license to maintain flammable liquids, gases or solids has been issued.  

Application & Resources

Hunting, Fishing & Trapping Licenses

Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping Licenses may be obtained online at the State Division of Fisheries and Wildlife website. The Lexington Town Clerk no longer serves as an agent for state gaming and fishing license.

Raffle Permits

  • Only non-profit/charitable organizations may hold raffles, bazaars, or other gaming events (e.g. Texas Hold'em or Casino Nights). 
  • The funds raised must be used for educational, charitable, religious, fraternal, or civil purposes or for veterans' benefits.
  • Permits must be obtained prior to the raffle, bazaar, or gaming event. Please allow for a minimum of a 1-2 week turnaround for the permit application, approval, and issuance process. 
  • Organizations must provide documentation of their current, non-profit/tax-exempt status (501(C)(3), ST-2, etc.) prior to permitting issuance. 
  • Once an application is approved and permit issued, the permit is valid for one year from date of issuance. 
  • The organization is then required to submit an Annual Report within 30 days of the permit's expiration date.

Application & Resources