The Minuteman Bikeway runs 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Bedford Center, through Lexington Center to the Alewife MBTA* station, where you can catch the subway Red Line or several buses.
Created on an old railway bed, it is paved and level, and wide enough for comfortable 2-way traffic. It's used by bicycle commuters, pleasure cyclists, and pedestrians. The Lexington portion is normally plowed in the winter for year-round use.
From the Lexington section of the Bikeway, you can visit:
- Lexington Visitors Center (and their public restrooms)
- Historic Lexington Battle Green with its famous Minuteman Statue
- Buckman Tavern, gathering place of the Lexington Militia, open for tours
- Shops and restaurants in Lexington Center
- The Olde Burying Ground, with its 17th-century gravestones
In warmer months, you can sign up for a Battle Green Walking Tour or a Liberty Ride Trolley Tour at the Visitors Center.
At the Bedford end of the Bikeway are 2 other bike trails you can continue on to:
*Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority