Settlement occurred slowly and in 1682 there were approximately thirty families or 180 persons at the Farms. Faced with a five to ten mile journey to the nearest place of worship, the inhabitants of the Farms began efforts in 1682 to establish themselves as a separate parish. On December 15, 1691 the General Court finally granted their request, over the objections of those in Cambridge who opposed the separation. The residents of the Farms assembled for the first time as a separate parish in April 1692 and a simple meeting-house was quickly erected at the junction of the Concord and Bedford Roads (now Massachusetts Avenue and Bedford Street). A burial ground had been established nearby by 1690. Reverend Benjamin Estabrook became the settled minister for the new parish in 1693. A house for the minister was built on the east bank of Vine Brook, between Main Street (now Massachusetts Avenue) and the railroad or approximately on the site of the present Cary Memorial Building.