2008 to 2010
Study demographic changes in Lexington with the objective of informing "long-range community decisions and actions for the Board of Selectmen and other Town officials.
- Interviews with Town officials (e.g. Police Chief, Superintendent of Schools, Director of Cary Library)
- Analysis of U.S. census data, Town census data, data maintained by the MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and data and projections from the Metropolitan Area Planning Commission
- Large and rapidly growing number of residents of Asian ancestry
- 1990: about 6%
- 2009: about 20%
- Impact of the above on the Lexington Public Schools: about 5% of students in English Language Learner program
- Significant under-representation of Asian residents on Town board and committees
- Develop an understanding of what attracts Asian residents to Lexington
- Develop an understanding of rates of in- and out-migration
- Broaden participation of Asian residents on Town boards and committees
- Study steps to increase civic participation by Asian residents in other communities in Massachusetts
- Study steps to increase civic participation by Asian residents in other communities across the USA.
Final Report, April, 2010 (PDF)