Water Main Replacement on Parts of Lowell Street, North Street & Summer Street
About the Projects
There are two concurrent water main projects in the area of Lowell Street (see Map showing Lowell and North Streets):
- A Town of Burlington project in Lexington, extending from the intersection of Adams Street and North Street, along North Street to Lowell Street, and down Lowell Street to the intersection of Maple Street
- A Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) project extending from the intersection of Maple Street and Lowell Street, down Lowell Street to Summer Street, and down Summer Street to Reed Street in Arlington.
These two projects will allow Burlington to more fully connect to the MWRA system. They will also benefit Lexington by replacing water mains at a greatly reduced cost to the Town, with improved water quality and reliability.
The MWRA's Contractor, Albanese D&S, will be installing two water pipelines between the intersection of Summer St. and Reed St. (in Arlington) up to the intersection of Lowell St and Maple St and involves two separate phases. Construction will continue for approximately two years. This work is an MWRA-controlled project, all on State roads.
The second construction phase involves the MWRA and contractor Albanese D&S Inc. replacing the Town of Lexington’s local water main.
- Contractor: Albanese D & S
- Engineering Consultant: Black and Veatch
Construction Update (October 2023)
Albanese D&S Albanese D&S (ADS) completed project pipework! The project is complete with the exception of punchlist items. The water main bypass has been disconnected, but bypass piping remains from the CareOne facility to Maple Street. Complete removal of the bypass has yet to be scheduled. The road will be paved by MassDOT next year.
Hours of operation will be from 7 am to 5 pm. Monday through Friday and some Saturday work. Local police details will be in place during construction work to safely move pedestrians and vehicular traffic around each work site.
As with the Town of Burlington work, access to homes will be maintained, but with traffic will be slow in work zones. Roads are closed at times while water services are connected across the road and for paving.
For information regarding this project, please contact:
- Troy Wall, MWRA Community Relations Liaison
Burlington / Lexington Project
The Town of Burlington is leading a project in Lexington to have water mains replaced:
- along Lowell Street from Maple Street to North Street
- on North Street from Lowell Street to Adams Street
This work will include new water service connections to each home at the curb property line. Temporary water connections using above ground pipes will be required for some homes. There may be service interruptions and scheduled shutoffs will be communicated to residents directly from the Town of Burlington.
Construction began in mid-April 2022 and will continue through two construction seasons. Final roadway paving will occur in 2024.
- Contractor: GVC Construction, Inc.
- Engineering Consultant: Wright-Pierce
Construction Update (November, 2023)
The Town of Burlington water main project is complete!
Construction will only occur Monday through Friday (usually) from 7 am to 5 pm.
If you have any questions, please contact Wright-Pierce, the Towns' Engineering consultant for this project:
- Zeke Feldman
Wright-Pierce | Project Engineer 978.416.8047