A bylaw regulating noise from landscape maintenance equipment in Lexington during certain times is now in effect. The bylaw also places seasonal restrictions on gas-powered leaf blowers (GLB), with an eventual phase-out of GLBs by 2025 for commercial landscapers.
What to Know
This bylaw adds the following provisions to the Town’s existing Noise Bylaw:
- Sets new allowed hours for the use of landscape maintenance equipment:
- Weekdays, 7 AM to 6 PM
- Saturday, 9 AM to 5 PM
- Weekdays, 7 AM to 8 PM
- Weekends and legal holidays, 9 AM to 5 PM
- Seasonal restrictions are imposed on gas-powered leaf blowers:
- Gas-powered leaf blower use by any user is limited to the following designated fall and spring cleanup periods:
- Spring: March 15 to May 31
- Fall: September 15 to December 30
- The use of gas-powered leaf blowers will be phased out:
- Effective March 15, 2025, the use of gas-powered leaf blowers by commercial landscapers will not be allowed. An exemption allows the continued use of wheeled leaf blowers powered by four-stroke engines on lots larger than 1 acre.
- Residents will be allowed to use gas-powered leaf blowers on their own property until March 15, 2026.
Learn more about this bylaw