New Policies for Westview Cemetery
- Social distancing of cemetery staff to funeral staff and funeral attendees and public
- No more than 10 people at the grave side funeral
- Funeral directors must bring adequate staff to carry casket and flowers to achieve distancing
- No tents provided at funeral due to distancing
- Funeral director must inform the cemetery staff beforehand if the deceased dies from Covid-19
- All other policies for the Westview Cemetery will continue to be in effect.
Westview Cemetery office is open Monday - Friday: 7:00 am to 3:30 pm., but the cemetery gate is open year round; 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Cemetery rates and service fees are approved by the Select Board.
As of September 2, 2019 the Town of Lexington will begin offering Green Burials at Westview Cemetery:
- Green Burials will must use an approved type of decomposing wood coffin.
- Concrete vault/liners are not required.
- Grave markers will be 2 feet x 1 foot flush markers either granite or bronze.
- Green Burials will be in Section GB only
- A funeral home service is still required.
- All other rules and regulations of Westview Cemetery must be followed.
We encourage the placing of fresh flowers at Easter, Mother's Day, Memorial Day (Memorial Day flowers must be removed by 7:00 a.m. on the Monday following Memorial Day) and Father's Day. Digging or planting of any kind is prohibited.
We do ask that vases be: bronze or aluminum vases, which you can purchase from the monument companies; or galvanized vases, which can be purchased at Westview Cemetery. Please do not use glass or china vases, which are just too fragile to be used in the cemetery.
When you place the vases at the gravesite, please place them on the gravestones. This will allow us to properly mow and maintain the turf. Vases placed on the grass can cause injury to the turf and can significantly increase mowing time. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
Once the fresh flowers become unsightly, we will remove them. During the winter months, vases must be turned down, or removed to prevent damage and the possibility of person injury.
Artificial flowers or decorations are not permitted between April 1st and November 20th. Christmas wreaths and other artificial decorations may be placed on the gravesites after November 20th. These items must be removed by March 1st.
Flags may be placed at the graves for Memorial Day and Flag Day. They may be placed by lot owners, veteran organizations, or other groups. We ask that the flags be placed no sooner than a week before Memorial Day and that they be removed the day after Flag Day. We regret that we cannot be responsible for flags, flag holders, emblems, or other personal property left at the gravesites. Please remove them yourselves for safekeeping.
Please see Westview Cemetery Rules and Regulations booklet. Please contact the Superintendent of Public Grounds with any questions.