Licensing & Permits

Marriage Licenses
Business Certificates (DBA)
Dog Licenses
Hunting, Fishing & Trapping Licenses
Fuel Storage Registration
Raffle Permit

Marriage Licenses

The two parties to the marriage must jointly apply for the license (file intentions) in person at the Town Clerk's Office.   Marriage licenses are a state license and can be applied for at any town/city hall with in Massachusetts.For more information on how to apply for a Marriage License.

Business Certificates

All fictitious name certificates for businesses (commonly known as "doing business as" or "dba" certificates) are required to be filed with the Town Clerk in the community in which the business operates. The dba files allow consumers to identify and locate the proprietor of a business known by a name other than that of the proprietor. Once filed, a certificate is valid for four years. The fee for filing is $25.00. 

A Business Certificate must be filed with the Town Clerk' Office for these types of business:

  • Corporation doing business under a name other than their exact legal name
  • Sole proprietorships and partnerships doing business under a name that does not include surname of partner or proprietor.
  • *Massachusetts Business Trusts doing business under a name other than their exact legal name
  • Limited partnerships doing business under a name other than its true partnership name or a name which does not contain the words "Limited Partnership"
  • Limited Liability Companies doing business under a name other than their exact legal name

*Certain non-residents, such as foreign limited liability companies, must appoint the city or town clerk as their agent for service of process in accordance with MGL Chapter 227, s.5A.

Business Certificate (DBA) Application

Dog Licenses 

The Lexington dog licensing cycle runs from April 1 through March 31 of the following year. Dog licensing invoices will be mailed on or about March 13 each year. Licenses remain in effect until April 1.

Massachusetts General Law requires all dog owners to license their dog(s).  A license will be issued only if the owner has evidence of a rabies vaccination which is valid as of the date of issuance and on file with the Town Clerk's Office. Neutered/spayed documentation will also be required if such designation is not evident on rabies certificate. 

The Select Board voted the following licensing fees: 

  • neutered/spayed dogs $15.00
  • intact dogs (male/female) $20.00. 

An owner or keeper of a dog who fails to renew a dog license within 21 days after being notified that a previously issued license has expired may be assessed a fee in addition to any other charges due for such license.

Late fee assessment:  

  • 7 days or less $   5.00 in addition to license fee
  • 8 - 29 days $ 10.00 in addition to license fee
  • 30 - 60 days $ 25.00 in addition to license fee
  • 61 days or more $ 50.00 in addition to license fee

Online payment for dog re-licensing is available March 1st to June 15th if you have a rabies certificate with a current vaccine on file with the Town Clerk's Office.  Payments online can be paid from your checking account or with a credit card.  Please note a nominal fee will apply to allonline transactions. 

Contact the Town Clerk's Office via e-mail or call 781-698-4558 with any questions.

Dog License Application

Fuel Storage Registration

The Town Clerk processes the annual registration of facilities and/or properties on which a license to maintain flammable liquids, gases or solids has been issued.  

Flammables - Question and Answers

Massachusetts General Law - Licensing and registration of flammables

Hunting, Fishing & Trapping Licenses

Hunting, Fishing & Trapping Licenses may be obtained on-line at the State Division of Fisheries & Wildlife website.  The Lexington Town Clerk no longer serves as an agent for state gaming and fishing license.

Raffle Permits

  • Only non-profit/charitable organizations may hold raffles, bazaars or other gaming events (e.g. Texas Hold'em or Casino Nights). 
  • The funds raised must be used for educational, charitable, religious, fraternal or civil purposes or for veteran's benefits.
  • Permits must be obtained prior to the raffle, bazaar or gaming event.  Please allow for a minimum of a 1-2 week turnaround for the permit application,  approval and issuance process. 
  • Organizations must provide documentation of their current, non-profit/tax exempt status (501(C)(3), ST-2, etc.) prior to permit issuance. 
  • Once an application is approved and permit issued, the permit is valid for one (1) year from date of issuance. 
  • The organization is then required to submit an Annual Report within thirty (30) days of the permit's expiration date.

Raffle and Bazaar Permit Questionnaire

Raffle and Bazaar Permit Application