60 Hartwell Avenue
Lexington, MA 02420
Directions to the Facility:
From Lexington Center, take Bedford Street west, over Rte. 128, to Hartwell Avenue (exit 31 B off Route 128). Stay in the right lane and enter the "jug handle" before the first set of lights. At the end of the jug handle, continue straight through the traffic light onto Hartwell Avenue. Travel 0.5 miles and the facility will be on your left after the bike path. Map to the facility
Compost Facility Hours of Operation:
In inclement weather, please call DPW Operations at 781-274-8300 to see if the facility is open. The facility is closed on legal holidays.
Compost Facility schedule, which includes the extended seasonal hours:
NOTE: The Compost Facility is closed on legal holidays. During severe weather; please call 781-274-8300 to verify it is open in inclement weather.
Description of Services:
- Residents may drop off yard waste, including brush 4 inches or less in diameter.
- Compost and chipped mulch are available for pickup.
- Residents can drop-off the following mercury containing devices at the Universal Waste Shed located at the Lexington Compost Facility, 60 Hartwell Avenue:
compact fluorescent bulbs,
button cell batteries, and
nickel cadmium rechargeable batteries;
- Residents can drop off hazardous products on schudeled HHP collection days at the Minuteman Household Hazardous Products Regional Facility. Proof of residency required upon request.
- A variety of scrap metal items will be accepted in the designated recycling area at Lexington Compost Facility, 60 Hartwell Ave. Acceptable drop-off items include antennas, bed frames, bikes, curtain rods, fans, grills (charcoal and gas remove tank), gutters, ladders, railings, pipes, pots and pans, screen doors, shelves, signs, sinks, swing sets, toasters, wheelbarrows. Large appliances listed in the trash guidelines must be scheduled for curbside collection ONLY and will NOT be accepted at the drop-off area.