Minuteman Household Hazardous Products Regional Facility
at the Lexington Compost Facility
60 Hartwell Avenue
Lexington, MA 02421
Open in 2017 on the following weekend days from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM:
[ *collection dates are Saturdays except where indicated ]
- April 15 - will be held at Hadley Public Services Building, 201 Bedford St.
- May 13 - will be held at Hadley Public Services Building, 201 Bedford St.
- June 17 - will be held at Hadley Public Services Building, 201 Bedford St.
- July 15 - will be held at Hadley Public Services Building, 201 Bedford St.
- August 12 - will be held at Hadley Public Services Building, 201 Bedford St.
- Sunday, September 17* - will be held at Hadley Public Services Building, 201 Bedford St.
- October 14 - will be held at Hadley Public Services Building, 201 Bedford St.
- November 4 - will be held at Hadley Public Services Building, 201 Bedford St.
Directions to the facility:
From Rte 128 take exit 31 (Rte 4/225 heading towards Bedford).
At the first light take a right, via jug handle, onto Hartwell Ave.
The composting facility site is ¼ mile on the left just after the bike path .
Description of Services:
Residents of Lexington and participating communities may help protect the environment by taking common household hazardous products — ranging from cleaners and photography chemicals to paints, fuels and certain devices — to the Minuteman Facility on Hartwell Avenue in Lexington. Mailings with the complete schedule for the Minuteman Facility are sent to all Lexington residents annually.
- Please bring identification and proof of residency with you to the center.
- Please do not make multiple trips per event. This slows down the event and it increases the cost to your town, as each town is assessed a fee based on the quantity of material per car brought to the site.
- The Minuteman Hazardous Products Facility reserves the right to refuse unidentified materials or unacceptable amounts of hazardous waste.
If you cannot go to any of the Minuteman collections or are moving before the next one, Clean Harbors Environmental, Inc. holds HHW and electronic collections every Saturday from April 1 - October 31 at their Braintree facility.
A separate program for small businesses and very small quantity generators (VSQG's) is also available by pre-registration.
General Household Materials
- Acids (corrosives)
- Aerosol cans (excluding empty cans)
- Art supplies
- Batteries - Alkaline batteries manufactured before 1994 and all NiCad, button, zinc and lithium batteries
- Chemistry set chemicals
- Fiberglass resins
- Furniture, floor, metal polishes and strippers
- Hobby supplies (rubber cement, airplane glue etc.)
- Mercury containing devices (switches, thermostats, fluorescent lamps, compact fluorescent bulbs (energy efficient bulbs), broken fluorescent bulbs, thermometers, blood pressure equipment)
- Moth balls/crystals
- Oil paint and paint thinners, varnish, stain and shellac (no Latex Paint is allowed)
- Paint Strippers
- Photography chemicals
- Rug and upholstery cleaners
- Solvent adhesives
- Turpentine and other paint solvents
- Wood preservatives
- Hair dye
- Nail polish remover
- Toilet cleaners
- Chlorine bleach
- Spot removers
- Spray starch
- Drain cleaners
- Lighter fluids
- Oven cleaners
Lawn and Garden Materials
- Cesspool cleaners (corrosives)
- Flammable liquids/Gasoline
- Flea and tick powders
- Fire starters
- No-pest strips
- Pool chemicals
- Propane tanks, empty or partially empty, up to 20 lbs
- Batteries (autos, motorcycles, etc.)
- Brake fluid
- Carburetor cleaner
- Oil - used
- Radiator flush
- Solvents and degreasers
- Tire cleaners
- Transmission fluid
- Waste fuels (gasoline, kerosene, etc.)
Do Not Bring:
- Ammunition, Fireworks, Explosives
- Commercial hazardous waste
- Construction waste/building materials
- CRT's, CPU's, computer monitors, television sets etc.
- Empty aerosol cans
- Fire extinguishers
- Gas cylinders (other than propane)
- Infectious or biological wastes - medical waste can be dropped off on scheduled collection days
- Latex Paint - dried out latex paint can be disposed of with your regular trash curbside
- Medicines or syringes - medical waste can be dropped off on scheduled collection days
- Radioactive materials
- Smoke Detectors
- Tighten caps and lids
- Leave materials in original containers
- Pad boxes with newspaper to minimize spills
- Never mix chemicals
- Drive directly to the Center
- Do not smoke
Who Can Participate
Anyone can bring household hazardous products to the Minuteman Facility.
- Residents from Arlington, Bedford, Belmont, Chelmsford, Lexington, Lincoln, Waltham and Watertown are not charged a fee. However, many towns require pre-registration with their Board of Health or DPW. Check the list of communities below to see if you need to pre-register or for your community's contact information.
- Concord residents who subscribe to the Town's curbside trash pickup are not charged a fee for using the MHP site, but must pre-register with the Concord DPW. Concord residents who do not subscribe to the Town's curbside collection will be assessed a fee at the site.
- Residents of other communities will be charged a fee at the facility. The fee is $35 for up to 12 gallons of materials (dry or liquid volume equivalent.) The fee for 12 - 25 gallons of materials is $60. Residents bringing more than 25 gallons of materials will be charged a fee on top of the $60 based on the amount of material. Please note that Clean Harbor will only accept checks as medthod of payment.
Arlington residents may bring household hazardous products to the Minuteman Facility in Lexington without pre-registering. Proof of residency in Arlington is required. For more information:
Department of Public Works
730 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02476
Tel: (781) 316-3108
Fax: (781) 316-3109
Bedford residents may bring hazardous household products to the Minuteman Facility. Proof of residency is required at the time of collection.
Board of Health
Town Center Building
12 Mudge Way
Bedford, MA 01730
Tel: (781) 275-6507
Fax: (781) 687-6157
Belmont residents may bring hazardous household products to the Minuteman Facility. No pre-register needed.
Homer Municipal Building, 1st Floor
19 Moore Street
Belmont, MA 02478
Tel: (617) 993-2680
Chelmsford residents may bring hazardous household products to the Minuteman Facility, but must pre-register with the Recycling Department beforehand. Chelmsford residents who do not pre-register, must pay a fee at the facility. Recycling Department
50 Billerica Road
Chelmsford, MA 01824
Tel: (978) 250-5203
Concord residents who subscribe to the Town's curbside collection service can get a pre-registration form at the Concord Public Works building during normal business hours. Non-subscribers must pay themselves at the MHHP facility. Concord residents should bring all paint related products to Concord's Paint Shed which is open every Saturday April through October.
Concord Public Works
133 Keyes Road
Concord, MA 01742
Tel: (978) 318-3240
Lincoln residents may bring hazardous household products to the Minuteman Facility, but must pre-register with the Board of Health beforehand. Lincoln residents who do not pre-register, must pay a fee at the facility.
Lincoln Board of Health
16 Lincoln Road
Lincoln, MA 01773
Tel: (781) 259-2613
Fax: (781) 259-1677
Lexington residents may bring hazardous household products to the Minuteman Facility. Proof of residency is required at the time of collection.
Board of Health
1625 Massachusetts Avenue
Lexington, MA 02420
Tel: (781) 698-4522
Fax: (781) 861-2780
Waltham residents may bring hazardous household product to the Minuteman Facility without pre-registering. Proof of residency is required at time of collection.
Waltham Recycling Department
119 School St.
Waltham, MA 02451
Tel: (781) 314-3392
Watertown residents may bring hazardous household products to the Minuteman Facility. Proof of residency is required at the time of collection.
Watertown Board of Health
149 Main St.
Watertown, MA 02472
Tel: (617) 972-6446