The 20/20 Vision Committee was formed in 1999 to develop the foundation for a community-based strategic goal-setting process. Read more about the Committee formation.
The Committee has undertaken projects in several areas since its inception. Summaries of many of these projects can also be found in Lexington Town Annual Reports.
Projects below are listed by subject area.
Town-wide Survey 3, 2016 - 2017
An updated repeat of the 2013 Town-wide study with nearly 1700 respondents
Enhancing Communication in Lexington [ECiL] 2018 - 2020
The 2017 Town-Wide Survey indicated that Lexington residents felt unaware of many of the issues and activities within the Town. This project reviewed best practices for municipal communications and prioritized several of these recommendations for implementation in Lexington.
Town-wide Survey 2, 2012 - 2013
Over 1200 respondents participated in this Town-wide study undertaken to identify and understand areas of interest and concern to residents.
The survey asked respondents to:
Indicate how important specific issues were to them in preserving or improving Lexington and to rank their importance.
Prioritize use of resources given budget constraints
Provide demographic data
- Report - several draft reports were created, but no final report was written
Budget Task Force, 2004 - 2005
Propose improvements to Lexington’s approach to budget creation in the areas of process, analytics and communication. Group meetings focused on understanding the process and perceived limitations in the current budget process.
Economic Development Task Force, 2006 - 2008
- Engage the community in discussions about Lexington's businesses and potential for further commercial development, incorporating considerations of sustainable development.
- Examine various regulatory issues affecting the current and future business sectors.
- Work with Town officials to arrive at an effective, workable mission for an Economic Development Officer
Demographic Change Task Force, 2008 - 2010
Study demographic changes in Lexington with the objective of informing “long-range community decisions and actions for the Board of Selectmen and other Town officials.
Subcommittee on Demographic Change, 2012 - 2013
- Assess the steps taken by Town Departments to ensure that services are effectively delivered to Town residents who do not speak English fluently.
- Investigate the factors that attract Asian - Americans to Lexington.
- Identify barriers that limit the participation of Town's Asian - American population in its government, boards, associations, and committees; propose and facilitate steps to make them welcome on these bodies.
- Develop ideas regarding activities that will increase the community's inclusion of Asian - Americans residing here.
- Assess steps taken by Massachusetts communities that have experienced significant demographic changes in recent years. Determine what worked and what did not, and what could be applied in Lexington.
Subcommittee on Asian Communities, 2015 - 2017
Identify lessons that can be learned regarding increasing inclusion of residents of Asian ancestry from communities across the U.S.A. that have proportionally higher Asian population.
Forging Constructive Community Discourse Task Force, 2004 - 2005
- Identify reasons why communication and discourse among citizens and between town and citizens appears to be problematic.
- Create an action plan for improving communication and discourse.
- Identify structural mechanisms that can be used to improve communication (the “what”).
- Identify mechanisms for encouraging the appropriate forms of discourse (the “how”).
Development of Lexington Citizens' Academy, 2009
Develop and offer a Lexington Citizens' Academy in the fall of 2009 to encourage civic involvement from previously unengaged citizens and provide transparency for Lexington's Town government.